Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Weekly Treasures: Vintage Goodies

My grandmother used to be a seamstress before she developed arthritis.  Up until recently she'd done virtually all the sewing for my extended family.  She never really expected that any of her grandchildren would develop an interest in sewing and crafting but I eventually did decide to take it up.  She gave me one of her antique sewing machines a few months back, and this weekend she gave me my choice of a wide variety of vintage buttons to use with my brooches and barrettes.





All of these buttons, beads, and findings are older than me - a fact that I find quite exciting.  Some of them certainly would have interesting stories to tell if they could talk.  I appreciate vintage items because each and every one of them has an associated history.  Perhaps you'll never know the story behind them, but it's still fun to imagine and speculate and dream.

Vintage doesn't always have to be more expensive either.  Thrift stores are one of my favorite places to discover vintage charms, shoes, fabrics, and many other items that can be used creatively in their present form or after they're taken apart.  Sometimes I go back in forth in my mind on whether or not it's more important to protect the integrity of the object, but (unless it's a very valuable antique) you'll likely come to the same conclusion I have - it's much better to see these items have a new life than to sit on a shelf or a rack and collect dust.  Or even worse - end up in a landfill.  Reusing vintage items in new, creative ways is definitely eco-friendly and a fun way to spice up your crafting.

These are some of my favorite vintage supply sellers:


Sorry but my grandmother's findings are not for sale. ;)

Do you have any vintage sellers or supply sellers you particularly like?  Are you someone with a vintage shop?  Do you sell items with vintage components?  Leave shop links in the comments!

Until next time,
Elle

0 comments: