Sunday, February 14, 2010

Funky Fabric Flowers and Etsy Success

It's been a few months now that I've had a shop on Etsy and I picked the worst time of year really to get started online.  Things get kind of slow in the winter, even for some people who make a living doing their craft.  I have sold a couple of jewelry pieces to a friend, but until yesterday those were the only sales I had made.  I'm really excited to say that I've sold one of my fabric flower barrettes!  I knew there had to be someone out there that was just as quirky fashion-wise as me!




In the spirit of being eco-friendly, I reused this really fun note card box for packaging the barrette.  I mailed everything off right away, keeping my fingers crossed that she likes it as much in person as she did online.  I think I'm more nervous after a sale than I am leading up to one!

I've made a couple more in the past week.  Check them out:


Now I make these flowers because I think it's fun to use recycled materials and I learned how to make these from a tutorial I've posted here before.  The flowers are very different looking and they aren't going to appeal to everyone.  There's a debate I've heard rehashed on different forums and venues about whether you should make things that make you happy or make things you can sell easily for profit (or a balance of the two).  I don't know if the reason I haven't had very many sales is that I'm really making what makes me happy and not what appeals to the masses.  What do you think?

Until next time,
Elle

4 comments:

sassypackrat said...

I personally like your flowers but think you are right they will not appeal to everyone. If it makes you happy to make them then continue to do so. Joining a eco group on etsy might help get your items more visible to people who would really enjoy your flowers.

I think the most successful etsy sellers are the ones who have a variety of items, some that they personally love and some that are more commercial.

I'm in your same situation I do what I really love and have only sold 3 things. Even my more commercial items that are comming soon are in my style which not everyone will like and I'm o.k. with that.

juliecache said...

true, not everyone has the same taste, but if you went with versatility -- brooch/barrette, you may get short haired girls to buy as well. i enjoy reading your posts.

Elle said...

Thanks for your insights sassypackrat! I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this situation. I definitely appreciate your suggestions. I hadn't considered joining an eco group on Etsy before and I think it's something I really need to look into.

Elle said...

Juliecache, I'm really glad you enjoy the blog. Thanks for reading! I had considered doing brooches but haven't followed through on it yet. In fact, the first fabric flower I made was a brooch for myself. I really appreciate the helpful suggestion!